About The Cook's Warehouse
Mary S. Moore
Founder and CEO of The Cook’s Warehouse
As founder and CEO of The Cook’s Warehouse (www.cookswarehouse.com), Mary Moore has combined her love of cooking and business. The Cook's Warehouse is Atlanta’s premier gourmet store and cooking school with three convenient locations: Midtown, Decatur and East Cobb. These are complemented by an on-line store at cookswarehouse.com and a mail order catalog.
Moore opened the first Cook’s Warehouse location in Midtown on Amsterdam Avenue in 1995, and under her leadership, the business has expanded to include a cooking school with more than 800 classes taught annually by renowned chefs in four kitchens. In 2002, Moore opened a second location in Brookhaven that is shared with Sherlock’s Wine Merchant. This partnership, the first of its kind in the Atlanta area, enables Moore to offer the finest in cookware, kitchen accessories, appliances and unique gadgets, as well as handpicked artisan wines and cooking classes. In 2005, Moore, in partnership with Doug Bryant, owner of Sherlock’s Wine Merchant, and Craig Maske, general manager of Sherlock’s Wine Merchant, opened the third retail location in downtown Decatur. As with the Brookhaven store, this location offers the finest in cooking and wine to a dedicated customer base.
In the spring of 2006, Moore re-launched Cookswarehouse.com to include a full retail section. Web offerings include top brands of cookware, cutlery, kitchen electrics and gadgets as well as new, unique and local products. Moore re-located the “back offices” of The Cook’s Warehouse, housing its purchasing, accounting and cooking-school management, and opened a separate warehouse to support Cookswarehouse.com in fall 2007.
In the fall of 2009, Moore moved her flagship store to Ansley Mall in a space formerly occupied by Piccadilly Cafeteria. This 6,500-square-foot space is 30% larger than her original Amsterdam
Avenue locationand features a state-of-the-art teaching kitchen and more than 15,000 items for the aspiring cook to professional chef.
In September 2011, Moore opened the fourth retail location in Merchant’s Walk in an area of, Marietta, GA, known as East Cobb. Since opening her first store, Moore has grown her business to over 80 associates in four retail locations plus support staff and a separate warehouse location.
In 2015 Moore chose to close her oldest location in Brookhaven in order to find a better spot. As the business has grown, Moore realized that great co-tenancy, ingress/egress, and parking are crucial to the highest success for her business concept. With the Brookhaven location having none of those qualities, she and the team are looking forward to a new spot in the market which will foster the same success as her other locations.
Prior to opening The Cook’s Warehouse, Moore managed the kitchens and cooked at the award- winning Atlanta restaurants Partners Morningside Café and Indigo Coastal Grill. She then served as the director of research and development for Harry’s Farmers Market, which at the time was Atlanta’s largest and most prestigious gourmet and fresh food supplier.
Moore frequently shares her culinary experience through the media. She has made television appearances on the Atlanta affiliates for NBC, Fox (Good Day Atlanta), Home Shopping Network, FamilyNet, CBS, PBS and Turner South. Moore is a hand model for commercials, was a set stylist for GPTV Julia Child and Burt Wolf production and “Nathalie Dupree Entertains,” a PBS series. She has filmed cooking demonstrations for "Southern Living Presents" and a commercial for Duke’s mayonnaise. Moore has been a radio guest on “Business Radio X”, “Chef and the Fat Man,” and “Behind the Line” on WGSR Atlanta. She has also written for Atlanta’s Finest Dining magazine and Atlanta Woman magazine. In addition to leading The Cook’s Warehouse, Moore is a guest teacher of cooking classes. She is also respected nationally as a culinary resource and is frequently asked to speak at industry conferences.
Moore has received numerous awards and has been recognized as a successful businesswoman and leader in the culinary industry. She is an active member of many organizations including the
Past President of Les Dames d’Escoffier International, a member of the Carter Center Board of Councilors, Vice-Chair of the Atlanta Community Food Bank Board, a member of the Metro Atlanta Chamber Board of Directors, and a member of the Woodward Academy Governing Board.
- Metro Atlanta Chamber, Board of Directors, 2010 - 2015
- Metro Atlanta Chamber, Business Growth Advisory Board, 2008 – 2015; Chair, 2010 - 2013
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Council on Small Business, 2010 - 2013
- Les Dames d’Escoffier International Board of Directors, 2008 – 2013, President, 2011-2012
- Les Dames d’Escoffier Intl, Atlanta Chapter, Charter Member, 1996 – present, President, 2007
- Atlanta Community Food Bank Board of Directors, 2010 – present, Vice-Chair 2013-2015
- Atlanta Community Food Bank, Advisory Board, 2000-2012, Chair 2010 - 2011
- Emory University Board of Visitors, 2012-2015
- Woodward Academy Governing Board, 2012-2015
- Woodward Academy Alumni Board, 2007 – 2012
- Home World Business Product Design Awards Judge, 2012, 2013
- Int’l Home and Housewares Association, GIA Awards Judge, 2011
- Int’l Home and Housewares Association, Product Design Awards Judge, 2006, 2007, 2009 - 2011
- Gourmet Catalog Retail Advisory Panel Member, 2003 - present
- International Housewares Association, Specialty Retailer Advisory Panel Member, 2003 - present
- High Museum Atlanta Wine Auction, Committee, 2004 – 2015
- The Carter Center, Board of Councilors Class of 2010, 2013, 2016
- James Beard Foundation Awards, Judge, 2000 - 2006, 2008, 2009
Awards and Recognitions:
- ICON Achievement Awards Winner, Individual Career Achievement, 2013
- YWCA Academy of Women Achievers, 2013
- Jezebel Magazine, Best Kitchen Specialists and Best Cooking School, 2010, 2013
- Creative Loafing, “Best Cooking School in Atlanta,” 2006 – 2014
- Best Self Atlanta Magazine, Best Cooking Classes, 2014
- About.com, Reader’s Choice, Best Kitchenware Retailer, 2012
- Woodward Academy, Distinguished Alumni Award, 2011
- Georgia Trend, 2011 Power Women
- Gourmet Insider Magazine, All Star, 2011
- Shun Retailer of the Year, 2007, 2011
- Gourmet Retailer Magazine, Top 50 Retailer, 2010
- The Gourmet Retailer, Retail Yearbook 2009
- Intown Atlanta, Best of the Holidays - Best Place to Buy Gifts for the Cook, 2009, 2010
- Metro Atlanta Chamber, Small Business Person of the Year 2008, Top Five Finalists
- International Housewares Association, “Global Innovator Award, USA,” 2007-2008
- Creative Loafing, “Best Place to Buy Kitchen Gadgets in Atlanta,”1997 - 1999, 2004, 2005
- HomeWorld magazine, “The Players - People to Watch,” 2008
- Atlanta magazine, Best Cookware Store, 1997, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Georgia Trend magazine, “40 Under 40: The Best and Brightest,” 2007
- Gourmet News, “Leadership Awards,” 2006 Finalist
- Catalyst magazine, “Top 10 to Watch,” 2006
- Natl Assoc of Women Business Owners, “Woman Business Owner of the Year,” 2006 nominee
- Gourmet News, “Top 20 under 40,” 2004
- The Gourmet Retailer magazine, “25 most important gourmet retailers,” 2004
- Harper’s Bazaar magazine, “Top cooking schools in the Country,” 2002