About The Cook's Warehouse
Mary S. Moore - Founder and CEO of The Cook's Warehouse
As founder and CEO of The Cook's Warehouse ( https://www.cookswarehouse.com), Mary Moore has combined her love of cooking and business. The Cook's Warehouse is Atlanta's premier gourmet store and cooking school with three convenient locations: Midtown, Decatur and East Cobb. These are complemented by an on-line store at cookswarehouse.com and a mail order catalog.
Moore opened the first The Cook's Warehouse location in Midtown on Amsterdam Avenue in 1995, and under her leadership, the business has expanded to include a cooking school with more than 600 classes taught annually by renowned chefs in three kitchens.
In the spring of 2006, Moore re-launched Cookswarehouse.com to include a full retail section. Web offerings include top brands of cookware, cutlery, kitchen electrics and gadgets as well as new, unique and local products. In 2015 Moore moved the corporate offices and warehouse into a larger facility to house both and streamline operations.
In the fall of 2009, Moore moved her flagship store to Ansley Mall in a space formerly occupied by Piccadilly Cafeteria. This 6,500-square-foot space is 30% larger than her original Amsterdam Avenue location and features a state-of-the-art teaching kitchen and more than 15,000 items for the aspiring cook to professional chef.
Prior to opening The Cook's Warehouse, Moore managed the kitchens and cooked at the award- winning Atlanta restaurants Partners Morningside Cafe and Indigo Coastal Grill. She then served as the director of research and development for Harry's Farmers Market, which at the time was Atlanta's largest and most prestigious gourmet and fresh food supplier.
Moore frequently shares her culinary experience through the media. She has made television appearances on the Atlanta affiliates for NBC, Fox (Good Day Atlanta), Home Shopping Network, FamilyNet, CBS, PBS and Turner South. Moore is a hand model for commercials, was a set stylist for GPTV Julia Child and Burt Wolf production and "Nathalie Dupree Entertains," a PBS series. She has filmed cooking demonstrations for "Southern Living Presents" and a commercial for Duke's mayonnaise. Moore has been a radio guest on "Business Radio X", "Chef and the Fat Man," and "Behind the Line" on WGSR Atlanta. She has also written for Atlanta's Finest Dining magazine and Atlanta Woman magazine. In addition to leading The Cook's Warehouse, Moore is a guest teacher of cooking classes. She is also respected nationally as a culinary resource and is frequently asked to speak at industry conferences.
Moore has received numerous awards and has been recognized as a successful businesswoman and leader in the culinary industry. She is an active member of many organizations including the Chair of the Atlanta Community Food Bank Board, Past President of Les Dames d'Escoffier International, a member of the Carter Center Board of Councilors, a member of the Metro Atlanta Chamber Board of Directors, and a member of the Executive Committee of the Woodward Academy Governing Board.
- ACFB Board of Directors, 2010 - present, Vice-Chair 2013/2015, Chair 2015/2016
- Atlanta Community Food Bank (ACFB), Advisory Board, 2000-2012, Chair 2010 - 2011
- Woodward Academy Governing Board, 2012-2016, Executive Committee 2015-2016
- Woodward Academy Alumni Board, 2007 - 2012
- Les Dames d'Escoffier International Board of Directors, 2008 - 2013, President, 2011-2012
- Les Dames d'Escoffier Intl, Atlanta Chapter, Charter Member, 1996 - present, President, 2007
- Metro Atlanta Chamber, Board of Directors, 2010 - 2015
- Metro Atlanta Chamber, Business Growth Advisory Board, 2008 - 2015; Chair, 2010 - 2013
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Council on Small Business, 2010 - 2013
- Emory University Board of Visitors, 2012-2015
- Home World Business Product Design Awards Judge, 2012, 2013
- Int'l Home and Housewares Association, GIA Awards Judge, 2011
- Int'l Home and Housewares Association, Product Design Awards Judge, 2006, 2007, 2009 - 2011
- Gourmet Catalog Retail Advisory Panel Member, 2003 - present
- International Housewares Association, Specialty Retailer Advisory Panel Member, 2003 - present
- High Museum Atlanta Wine Auction, Committee, 2004 - 2015
- The Carter Center, Board of Councilors Class of 2010, 2013, 2016
- James Beard Foundation Awards, Judge, 2000 - 2006, 2008, 2009
Awards and Recognitions:
- Womenetics POW! Award, 2016
- ICON Achievement Awards Winner, Individual Career Achievement, 2013
- YWCA Academy of Women Achievers, 2013
- About.com, Reader's Choice, Best Kitchenware Retailer, 2012
- Woodward Academy, Distinguished Alumni Award, 2011
- Georgia Trend, 2011 Power Women
- International Housewares Association, "Global Innovator Award, USA," 2007-2008
- Best Self Atlanta Magazine, Best Cooking Classes, 2016
- Jezebel Magazine, Best Kitchen Specialists and Best Cooking School, 2010, 2013
- Creative Loafing, "Best Cooking School in Atlanta," 2006 - 2016
- Gourmet Insider Magazine, All Star, 2011
- Shun Retailer of the Year, 2007, 2011
- Gourmet Retailer Magazine, Top 50 Retailer, 2010
- The Gourmet Retailer, Retail Yearbook 2009
- Intown Atlanta, Best of the Holidays - Best Place to Buy Gifts for the Cook, 2009, 2010
- Metro Atlanta Chamber, Small Business Person of the Year 2008, Top Five Finalists
- Creative Loafing, "Best Place to Buy Kitchen Gadgets in Atlanta,"1997 - 1999, 2004, 2005
- HomeWorld magazine, "The Players - People to Watch," 2008
- Atlanta Magazine, Best Cookware Store, 1997, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Georgia Trend Magazine, "40 Under 40: The Best and Brightest," 2007
- Gourmet News, "Leadership Awards," 2006 Finalist
- Catalyst Magazine, "Top 10 to Watch," 2006
- Natl Association of Women Business Owners, "Woman Business Owner of the Year," 2006 nominee
- Gourmet News, "Top 20 under 40," 2004
- The Gourmet Retailer Magazine, "25 most important gourmet retailers," 2004
- Harper's Bazaar Magazine, "Top cooking schools in the Country," 2002